Washington Post reporter sues paper and former editor Marty Baron, alleging discrimination after she publicly disclosed sexual assault
July 22, 2021. Summarized by summa-bot.
Compression ratio: 43.2%. 1 min read.
WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 20: Exterior view of the Washington Post building on L street on February, 20, 2013 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Bill O'Leary/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
A reporter at The Washington Post filed a lawsuit Thursday against the newspaper, its former top editor, and other senior leaders, alleging she was subject to unlawful discrimination after publicly saying that she had been the victim of sexual assault.
New York (CNN Business)A reporter at The Washington Post filed a lawsuit Thursday against the newspaper, its former top editor, and other senior leaders, alleging she was subject to unlawful discrimination after publicly saying that she had been the victim of sexual assault.
The reporter, Felicia Sonmez, had previously said that she had been prohibited from covering stories about sexual misconduct because she had been outspoken about being a sexual assault survivor herself.
The ban was eventually lifted earlier this year, the lawsuit said, after Sonmez criticized the newspaper both privately and in public over the policy.
But, while The Post did lift its ban on her ability to write stories on sexual misconduct issues, Sonmez's lawsuit said that severe damage had already been done.
"She also experienced physical pain, including severe pain in her jaw from grinding her teeth at night," the lawsuit continued, saying she "eventually developed temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder" because of the actions taken by The Post and its editors.
Sonmez said in a statement to CNN Business that she believed "survivors of trauma, including sexual assault, deserve the full support of their newsrooms. "
The man who Sonmez says assaulted her has denied the allegations and said the encounter was consensual.