Scores of civilians beheaded by insurgents in Northern Mozambique, witness says
November 11, 2020. Summarized by summa-bot.
In a series of attacks that began on October 31, and lasting several days, insurgents beheaded scores of people in Muidumbe District in Mozambique's northernmost province of Cabo Delgado, an eyewitness told CNN, confirming earlier state media reports.
Johannesburg (CNN)Insurgents beheaded scores of people in Mozambique's northernmost province of Cabo Delgado in a series of attacks that began on October 31 and lasted several days, an eyewitness told CNN, confirming earlier state media reports.
A resident who escaped the assault in Muidumbe District told CNN he personally knew at least five of the people who were killed, saying insurgents cut off the victims' heads before leaving them to rot in ditches and on the sides of roads.
The local, who refused to give his name out of fear of reprisals, said his mother was among a group that tried to return to Muidumbe after their escape, but fled once more when they realized the insurgents were still occupying the town.
On Monday, Mozambican police announced to state media that more than 50 people had been rounded up and beheaded on a soccer pitch in town during the attacks, a claim that CNN could not verify.
A security source operating in Mozambique told CNN that the beheadings were likely a retaliation for an earlier government operation against the insurgents.
British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab tweeted: "The UK is appalled by reports of the beheading of dozens of civilians in Cabo Delgado province.
French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted: "In Mozambique, more than 50 people have been beheaded, women have been kidnapped, villages have been pillaged and then set on fire.
Loosely aligned with ISIS, the insurgency has undertaken increasingly sophisticated attacks in recent months, overrunning large parts of Cabo Delgado's far north.