No grounds to pursue claims of French role in Rwanda genocide, prosecutor says
May 3, 2021. Summarized by summa-bot.
Compression ratio: 44.3%. 1 min read.
The French prosecutor's department has said that there were no grounds to pursue legal claims that France bore responsibility for enabling the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.
ParisThe French prosecutor's department has said that there were no grounds to pursue legal claims that France bore responsibility for enabling the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.
On Monday, France's top prosecutor, Remy Heitz, said in a statement that investigations carried out by French authorities could not prove any complicity by French troops in the killings, which were orchestrated by Rwanda's Hutu-led government.
Ever since the genocide, critics of France's role have said that then French President Francois Mitterrand failed to prevent the massacres or even supported the Hutu-led government.
Rwanda last month published a report in which it said that France was aware that genocide was being prepared in Rwanda ahead of the killings.
"The French Government bears significant responsibility for enabling a foreseeable genocide," the Rwandan government said in its 600-page report, prepared by the US law firm Levy Firestone Muse and published on Rwanda's main governmental website.
The 992-page French report, the result of a two-year investigation, said that France had been blinded by its colonial attitude to Africa to events leading up to the genocide and consequently bore "serious and overwhelming" responsibility.