No "confusion" in Trump's travel ban, Vice President Mike Pence tells CNN
March 12, 2020. Summarized by summa-bot.
Vice President Mike Pence has insisted there was no "confusion" following President Trump's shock travel ban announcement.
"I don't think there was confusion," Pence told CNN's New Day on Thursday.
"The President took another historic step, just like he did in January with China," Pence said of earlier travel restrictions.
A glimmer of hope from Chinese respiratory expert Zhong Nanshan on Thursday, who told a press conference that the coronavirus pandemic could end by June if the hardest hit countries take enough measures.
Six-time Formula One World Champion, Lewis Hamilton, said on Thursday it’s “shocking” that Formula 1 has pressed ahead with this weekend's Australian Grand Prix amid the global coronavirus pandemic.
"It seems that the rest of the world is already reacting a little bit late, but you have seen this morning with (President Donald) Trump shutting down the border to Europe to the States, the NBA suspended, yet Formula One continues to go on. ”
Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief Andrew Westacott said in a statement he was “monitoring the situation in conjunction with Formula 1 and the FIA” and working closely with health authorities to take additional precautions at Albert Park, including having hand sanitizers at public areas and corporate facilities.
Vienna city authorities told CNN that the patient was a 69-year-old man who had recently travelled to Italy.
Following President Trump's shock announcement that the US would be suspending travel from dozens of European countries in a bid to limit the spread of coronavirus, many experts had expected Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison to follow suit in a national address later Thursday.
Instead, Morrison said the country -- which has 140 reported cases of the virus -- was prepared to handle the outbreak.
China remains by far the most affected country in terms of coronavirus cases and deaths; it has had 80,793 infections and 3,169 deaths since the pandemic began in December last year.
Yesterday, there were only eight new infections reported there, the country's National Health Commission said.
Xi visits Wuhan: On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping made his first visit to the Hubei provincial capital of Wuhan since the outbreak began more than two months ago, an apparent sign of confidence that the country's preventative measures -- including sweeping travel restrictions -- are beginning to work.