Clouds. 31.5   F New York
AI-Powered News Summarizer
Top Stories

Bill Gates: Tradeoffs in Texas lead to deaths

February 20, 2021. Summarized by summa-bot.

Compression ratio: 46.4%. 1 min read.

In an interview with CNN, Bill Gates said deaths during Texas' winter freeze were preventable, caused by the state's decision not to weatherize its energy plants.

New York (CNN Business)In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Bill Gates said deaths during Texas' winter freeze were preventable, caused by the state's decision not to weatherize its energy.

Gates said America's dependence on renewable energy sources isn't high enough to worry about their stability — the problem was natural gas plants that were not weatherized.

"It is ironic to blame renewables and not realize that were going to have to be dealing with this unless we get the whole world to reduce omissions," Gates said.

The deadline for all of this: 2050, Gates said.

"2050 is literally the soonest it could get done given the scale and the number of things you have to change," Gates said.

The world needs a massive breakthrough, and Gates is looking for one.

"20% success rate when you are limiting yourself to things that have dramatic climate benefits — that would be very impressive," Gates said.

Gates sees a future where 80% of the world's energy is from wind and solar and the remaining 20% comes from nuclear energy.

On the political front, Gates said his breakthrough energy team is in talks with President Biden's administration, and that policy needs as much innovation as technology.

Covid-19 can be used as a mechanism to understand how serious climate change is, Gates said.

"Climate is very similar except sadly with climate, once you get into the problem — the coral reefs dying off, the Arctic ice being gone, you can't reverse those things just be inventing one thing," Gates said.

Summarizer is on Google News. Now you can get the latest AI summarized news on your favorite news platform.

Don't like Google News? We have an RSS Feed for you.

Suggestions